The Smart Research C1LA is a dual channel stereo/ganged 500-series compressor and limiter built to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the original Smart C1 Stereo/Dual Mono Compressor. This great stereo compressor / limiter houses all the settings and circuitry of its bigger brother for the smaller 500-series format.
The Smart C1LA 500-Series Stereo/Ganged Compressor and Limiter is designed to straddle two slots in your 500-series lunchbox, which, given that it houses all the circuitry and features of the original C1, is pretty impressive. The C1LA has three main modes of operation offering a wide range of possibilities for your recordings. It can be used for complete stereo or single channel recording, as a main mix bus compressor (not to mention on sub-mixes) or for tracking either mono or stereo sources.
C1LA: A Tri-Mode C1
Each channel of the Smart C1LA can either be used independently or in Stereo mode, summing both into the side-chain to maintain the stereo image’s integrity. The C1LA also has the ability to DC-Link the side-chain signals in Stereo mode, allowing for more movement, while still preserving the stereo image. And for those who prefer to compress both sides of a mix without linking: when operating independently both channelʼs controls are ganged.
The essence of the sound is determined by its dynamic performance: the way it reacts around transients creating its signature. In many situations, best results can be from medium-slow attack; and medium-fast release settings: passing transients present in a signal, while the compression law and timings then played out as the side-chain reacts and recovers both controls the overall levels and adds ʻpunchʼ as the transients are shaped. The ʻSOFTʼ mode in the C1LA also adds a new compression curve, acting not just at the threshold knee point, but across a broad input range of about 15dB.
Smart Research C1LA Compressor/Limiter Features:
- 3 operating modes: Independent/ganged; Stereo linked/Sum; and Stereo Linked/DC
- Metering options: Input, Output, (VU) and Gain Reduction (PPM) for L & R Channels
- 3 side-chain filters: 65, 130, or 205Hz
- Automatic distortion null circuitry
- Normal and half-threshold ranges
- ʻSoftʼ compression curve reshapes a 15dB range
- Total of 12 Attack and 12 Release settings
- Total of 4 ʻAutoʼ settings
- Dual, balanced bantam jacks for external side-chain inputs
- All settings and circuitry from original C1 Dual/Stereo Compressor